Here is a great recipe to start 2017 with a healthy and nutritive diet. It is vegetarian, gluten and lactose-free.
Sweet potato is one of the world’s most nutritious foods and ideal for athletes and people looking to lose fat and build more muscle. It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
This gluten-free gnocchi uses only 3 basic ingredients plus any spices you may want to add.
- 3 large sweet potatoes (boiled in water until potatoes are soft enough to mash)
- 1 egg
- Gluten-free flour – I used 400 g but this may vary depending on the size of your egg and potatoes
- Salt, black pepper, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon to season (optional)
How to prepare
– Remove the sweet potato skin and cut it into pieces. In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a fork.
– Beat the egg with a fork in a separate bowl, adding the optional spices to it. Mix well with the mashed sweet potatoes
– Gradually add the gluten-free flour and keep mixing with a fork and then with your hands. Keep adding flour until the dough no longer sticks to your hands and you are able to roll it
– Roll the dough with your hands into long stripes – wet the hands with water if needed, but you should not need to if the dough has the right consistency. I used a wooden chopping board to make the rolls, you can add some gluten-free flour to the board to make sure the gnocchi does not stick to the wood.
– Cut the rolls into 2 cm wide pieces. To make them look nicer you can roll balls with your hands and decorate with a fork so they look like little seashells.
– Bring a pan of water to boil. Slowly drop the gnocchi in boiling water and boil for 20 minutes or until the gnocchis have floated to the surface.
– Scoop out with a pasta spoon or use a colander slowly
– Heat your preferred sauce in a separate pan – pesto, tomato sauce or any other pasta sauce and mix with the gnocchi.
Latest posts by Helen Clark (see all)
- Tips To Conquer Clutter and Gain More Space in Your Wardrobe - March 15, 2017
- Organise Your Home Better with the Japanese Art of Decluttering - March 8, 2017
- 7 must-have Acrylic transparent boxes to keep your home organised - February 28, 2017